One of the goals of the FUFC is to help communities in Florida reach managing status. A managing community is defined as a local urban forestry program having professional STAFF, an enforced tree ORDINANCE, active citizen ADVOCACY, and an urban forestry PLAN (or SOAP for short). Communities that do not have all four elements of SOAP are considered developing communities.
This page is a tool kit to help turn developing communities into managing communities by offering resources specific to the four elements of SOAP.
Click on element tab below for a list of resources.
- American Public Works Association
- How to Hire an Arborist
- How to Hire an Arborist / Arbor Day Foundation - Tree City USA Bulletin #6
- What City Foresters Do / Arbor Day Foundation - Tree City USA Bulletin #12Also available for purchase at arborday.org
- Society of Municipal Arborists
- Tree Board University
- American Forests
- Arbor Day Foundation / Sample City Tree Ordinance
- Florida Communities: Coral Springs (City of), FL - Tree Protection Ordinance Miami (City of), FL / Chapter 17 Orlando (City of), FL / Landscape Code Port St. Lucie (City of), FL / Article 1.5 - Tree Protection and Preservation Sarasota County, FL / Tree Protection Ordinance
- Georgia Urban Forestry Council / Sample City Tree Ordinance
- International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) / Guidelines for Developing and Evaluating Tree Ordinances
- Iowa State University – University Extension / Community Trees –
Sample Tree Ordinances for Iowa Communities
- Montgomery, AL Tree Committee / Urban Tree Conservation:
a White Paper on Local Ordinance Approaches
- Pennsylvania Land Trust Association
- Urban Forestry South (includes links to a number of examples from Georgia)
- Alliance for Community Trees - www.actrees.org ACTrees is a green industry organization that supports grassroots, citizen-based nonprofit organizations dedicated to urban and community tree planting, care, conservation, and education. ACTrees offers resources and tools to help nonprofit organizations provide tree education, organize tree planting events, expand their reach, and build revenue.
- Arbor Day Foundation / Time for Trees Time for Trees Initiative is the action driven center for the Arbor Day Foundation. Here you’ll find opportunities to make a positive impact on your community…right now.
- How to Work with Volunteers Effectively / Arbor Day Foundation - Tree City USA Bulletin #36Also available for purchase at ArborDay.org
- Teamwork Strengthens Community Forestry / Arbor Day Foundation – Tree City USA Bulletin #48Also available for purchase at ArborDay.org
- Tree Board University - www.treeboardu.org An online training curriculum for citizens who serve on tree advisory bodies for local governments across the USA. This unique online training will help you learn more about trees, about people, and about serving in a citizen advisory role in your city, town or village.
- A Model of Urban Forest Sustainability
- Criteria and Indicators for Strategic Urban Forest Planning and Management
- Examples of Urban Forest Management Plans - UrbanForestrySouth.orgOwner: USDA Forest Service - Urban Forestry South
Description: Links to urban forest management plans developed for southern cities.
- i-Tree Tools for Assessing and Managing Community Forests - itreetools.orgOwner: USDA Forest Service
Description: i-Tree is a state-of-the-art, peer-reviewed software suite from the USDA Forest Service that provides urban forestry analysis and benefits assessment tools.
- Urban Forest Assessment Tools - Resource Guide - AmericanForests.org
Owner: American Forests
Description: A step-by-step guide for selection of urban forest assessment tools.
- Urban Forest Management – Toolkit - UFMPtoolkit.com
Owner: California Urban Forests Council and Inland Urban Forest Council
Description: The Urban Forest Management Plan (UFMP) Toolkit website is intended to help urban forest managers develop management plans that are appropriate for their urban forests.
- Urban Forest Management Plan Tool - UrbanForestrySouth.org
Owner: USDA Forest Service – Urban Forestry South
Description: This section of Urban Forestry South Expo provides access to the Urban Forest Management Planning Tool and a library of urban forestry strategic and management plans from various communities around the country.
- Urban Forest Management Tools - UFMPtoolkit.com
Owner: California Urban Forests Council
Description: The pages in this section include descriptions of tools and techniques used in urban forest management. Links to resources available on other sites are also listed.
- Urban Forestry for Public Works Managers - www2.apwa.net
Owner: American Public Works Association
Description: Urban Forestry Best Management Practices for Public Works Departments
- Urban Forestry Manual - urbanforestrysouth.org
Owner: USDA Forest Service – Urban Forestry South
Description: The Urban Forestry Manual provides the scientific, technical, and practical information needed to work with communities on urban forestry. There are 12 chapters (units) that address specific topics in the practice of urban forestry. These units have been developed as a series, each building upon the information in previous ones. The units may also be used individually to gain information about a specific topic.